Svetlana Cameron (b. 1978) is a Russian-born British portrait artist dedicated to the revival of traditional fine art. Trained in the methods of Old Masters in the private atelier system, she specialises in portraiture in the style of classical realism. Svetlana is based in the Isle of Man (British Isles) where she works from her studio in Braddan. A sought-after portrait painter, she travels internationally to exhibit and meet her sitters.
Svetlana Cameron paints in the traditional Flemish technique, beginning her work with a grisaille under-painting followed by multiple layers of opaque over-painting and rich colour glazes. It allows the artist to create depth, luminosity of colour and level of detail which is not possible to achieve by using modern direct painting methods.
For portrait drawings Svetlana Cameron has developed her own mixed-media technique which won accolades from critics around the world and received awards in international competitions in Great Britain, USA and Russia. She is recognised as Master of Pastel by the French magazine "Pratique des Arts" and the American "Pastel Journal", which included her name in the Top 40 and Top 100 lists of international pastel artists respectively.
Svetlana's portraits of Speakers of the Isle of Man Parliament are included in the UK National Collection of Oil Paintings and are featured on the BBC Your Paintings website.
In 2013 Svetlana Cameron was recognised as one of Britain's leading drawing artists. She became a member of the Society of Graphic Fine Art (UK), the British national drawing society with just over 100 members elected on merit. Awards and Recognition
- 2016 - accepted in the ARC Living Artists/Masters Gallery
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 - Finalist in the Art Renewal Center International Art Salon Competition - USA
- 2015 - Finalist, International Artist magazine competition "People and Figures"
- 2015 - Winner, "Strokes of Genius" international drawing competition - USA
- 2015 - Winner, 1st place in "Portrait Drawing" and 3rd place in "Portrait Painting" category, Russian Art Week in Great Britain - London
- 2013 - Elected member of Society of Graphic Fine Art - UK
- 2013 - Winner, 2nd and 3rd place in the "Academic Drawing. Portraits" category, Russian Art Week - Moscow
- 2013 - Finalist with Honourable Mention, 15th Annual "Pastel 100" International Competition - USA
- 2013 - Winner, "Strokes of Genius" international drawing competition - USA
- 2013 - Finalist, "RBSA Portrait Prize" national competition - Birmingham, UK
- 2012 - Winner, 4th place in the "Pastel 100" International Competition - USA
- 2011 - Selected for the Royal Society of Portrait Painters annual exhibition - London
- 2015 - "Russian Art Week in Great Britain". Exhibition hall of the Russian Embassy in the UK - London
- 2015 - "DRAWN Together", Bankside Gallery - London
- 2014 - SOLO Exhibition of Classical Portraits, Sayle Gallery - Douglas, Isle of Man
- 2014 - "DRAW 14", Menier Gallery - London
- 2013 - "RBSA Portrait Prize", Royal Birmingham Society of Artists Gallery - Birmingham, UK
- 2013 - "DRAW 13", Menier Gallery - London
- 2012 - Solo exhibition and talk at Barclays Wealth and Investment Management Gala Dinner "Women in Business", Villa Marina Royal Hall - Douglas, Isle of Man
- 2013 - "Speakers Portraits - Techniques Uncovered", Tynwald Library, Legislative Buildings - Douglas, Isle of Man
- 2012 - "Love Pastels", Mall Galleries - London
- 2011 - Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition, Mall Galleries - London
- 2015 - "40 maitres du Pastel" ("40 Masters of Pastel). Hardcover, Pratique des Arts - France
- 2015 - International Artist Magazine, December issue
- 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012 - Art Renewal Center, International Salon Catalogue
- 2014 - Strokes of Genius 6, the Best of Drawing, by Rachel Rubin Wolf. Hardcover, North Light Books
- 2014 - Art Journey Portraits and Figures: The Best of Contemporary Drawing in Graphite, Pastel and Coloured Pencil, by Rachel Rubin Wolf. Hardcover, North Light Books
- 2014 - "Pastel Journal", April issue
- 2013 - "New Faces in Arts", World Fund of Arts - Moscow, Russia
- 2013 - "Pastel Journal", April issue
- 2012 - Contemporary Painters by Danijela Kracun and Charles McFadden, hardcover, Schiffer Publishing Ltd.